11.09.2006

The Painted Veil


I was pretty close to work on this film, but it ended up against my just left Paris and moved into NYC timing.

Friend of mine a big romantic got this project for his new position in China, and advised me to get a copy of The Painted Veil by early 20th century English novelist W. Somerset Maugham. I read the book while I was in Paris packing alone and was very emotional in reading it. The writing was not perfect but was sure very fashionable at time. The story is not grand but the typical English timeless love is sorrow enough to keep a box of tissue handy.

The book has already been adapted once in 1934, but it was alter from the original story. Which make me very curious about this more faithful version. And even I love Edward Norton and think Naomi Watts is great cast, but since I was picturing Clive Owen as the lover, so it's very ambiguous for me now to get used to Liev Schreiber (he's excellent in Mixed Nuts).

Anyway. The film release date is Dec. 20 2006. And before you get to read the book. Here is the trailer:

2 comments:

Richard Steandric Ricsteand said...

as much as you love edward norton, but please note this film (the painted veil) stars naomi watts in the lead, playing lead character kitty fane, just as greta garbo was in the 1934 bad version. i'm sure as fine an actress as naomi watts, she'll bring excellence to this new version, with good support from edward norton and liev schreiber.

OVNI said...

Oh. Naomi Watts is one of the rares. She was excellent in 21 Grams and she's sure the best Ann Darrow ever. I can't wait to see how she interprets Kitty Fane with John Curran's direction. I not specially like Clive Owen and that's why I pictured him as Charlie Townsend when I read the book and when the production is still casting for the role. But by Liev Schreiber's very promising performance, I'm sure to expect a charming selfish bastard. An excellent cast.