3.29.2007

Danish Design - Verpan, Vipp


Remember those shell pendant lamps? Those sliding shape chairs?
Those so called fashionable people today love those futurist furniture, are in fact not at peak of fashion but at point of retro.

The famous Danish designer Verner Panton (1926-1998) was the ONE who created those provocative patterns and those never out date objects in our everyday life since 1955.

The extraordinary man we admire had changed and marked our life forever. But from a 70s generation point of view. I can't say I love all the influences from him, but I do love the world he imaged way ahead of everyone. As a child of that time. The colorful geometric patterns on almost every walls, on mother's skirts, on father's shirts are way tooooooooooo much for a pair of little eyes, which I believe that was the main reason of my astigmatic vision defect. : )

Anyhow. Since I was pretty much avoiding those designs the most of my existence, and by the retro minimalist fashion back to our live these years... I sort of picked up the concept a little bit here and there in the spaces I live. And. My resent ballade in Copenhagen the other day, make me inexplicably fall in love with those white Verpan ball pendant lamps.

Of course there is also the Vipp bins. It was in 1939. Holger Nielsen (1914-1992) created this robot look waste bin for his wife's hair salon. Then those all sizes, all colors, stainless steel solid, durable, isolate order waste bins are soon adopted by many dentists and doctors' clinics and by today's interior designers.

The prices for the real good design are never cheap to prossess. But how we explain our obsession of collectible furniture and fascination toward to a simple but maybe the generation transferable waste bin?

No comments: