3.20.2007

Maximilian Hecker in Copenhagen


17th March 2007. After all these years' wrong timing. I finally get to see a Maximilian Hecker's concert.
My trip back to Europe from NYC was planned. Only again a few days gap with Maximilian's touring schedule. I then decided to take off solo 5 days ahead of my husband, and fly to Copenhagen specially for it.

The Air France's coach seats are ridiculously small. I've got a window seat without window, and my neighbor seat's passenger has had an extreme need to communicate for whatever his psychology issues. I ended up an almost red-eye flight which I slept a whole afternoon to recover my shape. Then the morning flight from Paris to Copenhagen with scholarship atmosphere, which my seat was surrounded by twenty over excited teenage French kids. That again I need another afternoon sleep to recover before my meeting with Maximilian.

Awake fresh from my jet-lag nap. I took a cab to The Loppen, a rock venue at hippy town Christiania. Maximilian was doing sound-check when I arrived. In the dark. He waved to me then politely and nervously exchanged a hand shake with me once he's free of the stage.

Loppen. A very famous venue in Copenhagen, but beside the more or less correct sound man, the space is crappy and badly maintained. The floor plan is completely wrong, the hard wood floor is almost sticky, the restroom is... in pre-history condition. The personals work there are clumsy, a tiny lady in a pair of talent-"aigue" booties echo the whole space loud and sharp whenever she walks across the stage area. An existentialism busboy also loves to walks around with clinking bottles and glasses. Not to mention the drunk and stoned couple talked and laughed loudly while Maximilian sings.

Anyhow. Maximilian's support gig was amazingly great. Many people congrats him for his great performance and beautiful songs while we sat there for Duke Special.

Maximilian in person is really greater than a close-up picture. His face is perfectly neat and his facial features are extremely refine. We as usual spice all our conversation in Philo-Psycho term, but in person, his German accent suddenly make more sense of everything. In the cold wind and drizzling rain, he asked me if I'm disappointed by coming this far for it? I joked. "Yeah. You didn't sing Lady Sleep."

No comments: